I am currently making roses for a wedding headpiece for a lovely bride. Step one in the process is to choose the fabric and stiffen the fabric.
Fabric Stiffening Recipe for Silk Flowers
This recipe was given to me during a millinery workshop conducted by fabulous Australian milliner Neil Grigg. Thanks Neil this recipe is a cracker!
1. 420ml water– bring to boil in a saucepan
2. Mix together 20ml of cornstarch/cornflour with 20ml of water – it will make a thin paste
3. Pour cornstarch paste into the boiling water
4. Keep stirring until the mixture boils and thickens
5. Add 40ml of PVA glue – hold high and trickle in while continuing to stir until all is combined
6. Pour into a glass bottle and cool before use
7. This will keep about 7 -10 days.
Use a paintbrush to apply to fabric. Peg onto line and wait until fabric is dry and becomes stiff.